Headsails Configuration

Tuning the rig of the Nicholson 31 and chat about sails.

Headsails Configuration

Postby snowgoose » 09 Mar 2016, 18:28

Dear All,
Snow Goose's headsails are finally going the way of all sails, so we are looking to have at least one new sail made. I'd be most grateful for your comments and/or learnings. I have seen the technical drawings of the sail plans on the association website. We sail with three small children, from the Hamble, UK South Coast and Cross Channel, short handed (for the moment!) and have a furling system for the headsail.

Our retiring sails appear to be a) Furling No.1 at about 110% (23.9 sq. m) b) Furling Genoa (approx. 30 sq m) possibly converted from hanked which I understand to be approx. 130%. We are underpowered in light winds with the No.1 and overpowered above low 20s knots depending on mainsail size. The Genoa has a lot of bag and we have only used it in light winds, as it would tip us over significantly with any decent breeze. The plan is to retire the No.1 (the expense of redoing various undone stitching is prohibitive) and use the genoa as a goosewing option. We have an inner forestay and a storm jib (orange), not used to date. As we are short handed with young crew, sail changes underway need to be well considered.

As for a new sail, our sailmaker (Banks Sails) is recommending a furling headsail at 130% which seems to equate to the Furling Genoa on the Reefing sail plan. He advises that a foam luff will assist with reefing in flattening the remaining sail and warp oriented cloth will benefit shape and longevity at minimal extra cost. I guess the idea is a compromise sail which can move us in light winds and then be reefed up to about 22 knots of wind. This feels like a big sail and I wonder about performance when reefed? I also worry about interference with the guard rails. I wonder also if we would benefit with a second jib for prolonged blustery conditions, possibly No.2 sized or is the storm jib the way to go?

I would be grateful to hear what you sail with configuration wise and any learnings you would be willing to share which might help inform our decision.
Many thanks indeed,
Angus
(Snow Goose of Hamble No.94)
snowgoose
Crew Member

Re: Headsails Configuration

Postby showa » 02 May 2016, 19:19

Snowgoose,
Did you get your answer?

I have about a 110 % Genoa on a furler, but would love a larger sail. Have you considered investing in a furling system, a bit costly however I can't imagine sailing single handed or anytime without one.
Sorry Can't comment on how the reefing head sails perform when being reefed but Your right, its a lot of sail to be trying to control when the wind is up unless you have crew to help deal with it.
If your planning on keeping your boat for the long haul I would start the furling fund ASAP and you will never look back.
showa
Crew Member

Re: Headsails Configuration

Postby showa » 03 May 2016, 14:04

Snowgoose; just noticed you said you "Do" have a furling system, do you mean roller furling, if so then not sure I understood your question on previous post as it sounded like you don't have one ? If you can roller furl go with a larger head sail.
showa
Crew Member

Return to Rigs & Sails